[Webinar] Accelerating Southeast Asia’s Energy Transformation: Vision for Transformative Energy Policies
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) and the ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE) are organizing a Webinar “Accelerating Southeast Asia’s Energy Transformation: Vision for Transformative Energy Policies” on August 13, 2020 at 14:00 GMT +7/BKK/Hanoi Time)
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) and the ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE) have been deepening cooperation, putting the renewables-driven energy transformation at the heart of Southeast Asia’s economic recovery following the COVID-19 outbreak.
The ASEAN region should stand together and see the challenges as an ideal moment to consider sustainable options available toward a climate-proof and resilient energy future that is economically prosperous, secure and socially inclusive. Accelerating this process can alleviate immediate energy challenges, while creating jobs, advancing industrial development and promoting human welfare. IRENA’s Global Renewables Outlook (GRO) 2020 report revealed that Southeast Asia could meet about 41% of all its energy needs from renewable energy by 2030.
Learn more and get insights from the webinar “Accelerating Southeast Asia’s Energy Transformation: Vision for Transformative Energy Policies” organized by ACE and IRENA for a dialogue among governments, development partners and regional and multilateral institutions on the regional and national perspectives for accelerating energy transformation in the ASEAN region.
The webinar will take place on Thursday, 13 August 2020, 14.00 (GMT+7/BKK/JKT Time), and will discuss:
- Key GRO and Renewable Power Generation Costs findings, providing an overview of results from energy scenarios, socio-economic analysis and renewable power generation cost trends;
- Socio-economic footprint of the energy transformation;
- Region-specific findings of the GRO for the ASEAN member countries;
- Perspectives from regional leaders in the energy transformation and discussion of insights from the GRO 2020 on how the region can accelerate the deep decarbonization process.
An indicative agenda is outlined here:
- Gauri Singh, Deputy Director General, International Renewable Energy Agency
- Nuki Agya Utama, Executive Director, ASEAN Centre for Energy
- Ken O’Flaherty, UK COP 26 Ambassador for Asia Pacific and South Asia
- Ricardo Gorini, Senior Programme Officer, Renewable Energy Roadmap, IRENA
- Michael Renner, Programme Officer, Policy, IRENA
- Michael Taylor, Senior Analyst, Renewable Energy Cost Status and Outlook, IRENA
Regional Best Practices:
- Tharinya Supasa, Senior Officer of Energy Policy Planning and Modelling, ASEAN Centre for Energy
- Jonathan Goh, Director of External Relations, Energy Market Authority, Singapore
- Nguyen Hoang Linh, Senior Expert, Planning Division, Electricity and Renewable energy Authority, Ministry of Industry and Trade, Vietnam
- Harris, Director, Various New and Renewable Energy, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Indonesia
- Michael Williamson, Chief, Sustainable Energy development Section, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
- Sulaiman Shaari, Secretary General, Asian Photovoltaic Industry Association
- Liming Qiao, Asia Director, Global Wind Energy Council
Moderator: Dr Hoyyen Chan, Senior Officer of Sustainable Energy, Renewable Energy, and Energy Efficiency, ASEAN Centre for Energy
This event is presented by ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).