- Mar 25 2022
- 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Future Event
USAID: Women at the Forefront of SE Asia’s Energy Transition
Globally, women make up only 25% of the energy sector workforce. As Southeast Asia transitions to clean energy, it is imperative to ensure the inclusive participation of women in climate action and sustainable development. Findings from research on challenges to gender equality in Southeast Asia’s energy sector reveal that social norms and gender bias are a major hindrance to women and girls pursuing science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education and careers in the energy sector.
The USAID Enhancing Equality in Energy for Southeast Asia (E4SEA) Activity partners with universities and energy employers to attract girls and women to STEM and energy-related education, to promote inclusive workplaces, and increase women’s participation and leadership in the rapidly growing and transforming energy sector.
E4SEA Semi-Annual Virtual Meetings are information exchanges between development partners working in the gender-energy nexus to find areas of potential collaboration. Featuring leading women involved in Southeast Asia’s energy transition, we hope to inspire future generations. Key topics that will be covered by three regional organizations, E4SEA, New Energy Nexus, and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung include:
- What is a just energy transition?
- What are the increasing opportunities for women in SE Asia’s transitioning energy sector?
- Who are the women leaders in SE Asia’s energy transition, what are they working on, and how did they overcome challenges related to gender equality?
- What kinds of support and interventions are needed to increase girls and women’s participation in STEM and clean energy careers and initiatives?SPEAKERS:
- Khan Ram-Indra, Chief of Party, USAID E4SEA Activity
- Julia Behrens, Director, Asia Climate & Energy Project, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
- Marie Stella Cardenas, Executive Director, Center for Empowerment, Innovation and Training on Renewable Energy (CentRE)
- Brenda Valerio, Philippines Country Lead, New Energy Nexus
- Prae Piromya, Deputy Chief of Party and Lead Stakeholder Engagement Specialist, USAID E4SEA Activity
For more information on the event, please find the agenda HERE